Once again I have another planting project that should have been started at least two months ago but wasn’t and that was the salad table.
This is one of those things that only takes 15-20 minutes to plant, but I just kept on putting it off. You’ll notice that in some of the other salad table cells, are the remaining seedlings. The plan is when I visit my sister for 4th of July weekend, that I’ll give her all the remaining seedlings. Even though transplanting them in July, is way late in the season. But who knows, maybe something will turn out from this experiment.
And speaking of late season transplants, you’ll notice that I’ve transplants all the remaining seedlings from their 9-cell packs into 10 oz plastic cups. This way the plants will be a little bit less root bound, come transplant time on the 4th of July.
I’ve posted a couple of close up shots of the compost/potato bins, so that you can get a good look at the coat hanger wires that are used to hold all the pallets together. Boy do those grass clipping need a good turning in the bin, but its kind of surprising that I’m still able to add grass clippings to the pile. Since with last years cinder block compost bin, in only two mowing I had filled the bin to the top. Plus now that I’m looking it over, I might pull some of the clippings out of the bin, and lay them down as ground mulch out in the garden, since the weed situation on the right half of the garden is still out of control. I ended up pulled up two 5 gallon buckets of weeds from the garden one afternoon and it barely looks like I made a dent. Continue reading →
Here are some better shots of the salad table, growing away like crazy. One thing that I’ve started to notice is that I might have planted the greens on the table a little bit too heavy. Since the plants almost seem to be crowding each other out for light/water/nutrients.
So what I’ve started to do, is some light trimming of the greens on the outside boarders. And then within each type of green, I’ve started to trim out plugs of baby greens, and then brushed around the remaining plants to fill in the gaps. We’ll see if this ad-hoc crowd control method works, since I’d still really like the maximize the yields from each planted cell.
I also tossed in a couple of shots of the wooden pallet compost bin, with the potato/carrot growing bin right next to it. Who knows if anything is really going to pan out vegetable wise with that bin. But as the old saying goes, nothing ventured nothing gained.
Amazing what a difference 10 days makes. Since it was just 10 days ago that I planted the second cell in the salad table with radishes and two kinds of mesclun. And as you can probably tell, those plants are well past the point of initial germination.
A couple more days of growing and it’ll be time to harvest some fresh mixed greens from cell 1 and cell 2.